To declare Psychology as your major, you must complete at least three prerequisite courses.
One prerequisite course must be PSY 251 (Quantitative Methods) or a pre-approved statistics course in another department.
- Courses that will be automatically recognized by TigerHub as cognates for PSY 251 are ORF 245, ECO 202, SPI 200, SML 201, or POL 345.
- Students considering other cognates for PSY 251 must receive pre-approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Two additional prerequisite courses from the following list must be completed:
- PSY 101 (Introduction to Psychology)
- PSY 252 (Social Psychology)
- PSY 254 (Developmental Psychology)
- PSY 255 (Cognitive Psychology)
- NEU 200/PSY 200 (Functional Neuroanatomy) or NEU 201/PSY 258 (Fundamentals of Neuroscience)
All requests for an alternative set of prerequisites must be approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Sophomores who have fulfilled the prerequisites may apply for early concentration. If accepted, they may engage in independent reading with a faculty advisor and submit a paper at the end of the Spring semester. This preparation may qualify them for more advanced independent work in the Junior year.
If you are currently a Sophomore and are interested in meeting to discuss a concentration in Psychology, please make an appointment using Bookings or contact the Department of Psychology Undergraduate Program Manager.